<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://luxortimes.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Luxor Times: 06-Apr-2011

Luxor Times

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Zahi discuss the immediate actions to remove the infringements on the sites in co-operations with the Armed Forces


After swearing in as a Minister of Antiquities (Monday 4th April) in front of Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, Dr.Zahi Hawass held a meeting at his office (Tuesday 5th April) to discuss removal all the infringements located in the archaeological sites territory that took place during the recent events according the assignment to him by Field Marshal Tantawi (Head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces and General Commander of the Armed Forces) supplying the assistance to fulfill the mission
During the meeting which was attended by delegates from the Armed Forces, the abuses that took place in the central region which includes Greater Cairo, Saqqara, Dahshour, were reviewed and the practical steps to eliminate violations were discussed.
Dr. Sabry Abd El Aziz stated that a meeting will be held on Wednesday (6th April) in co-operation with the Armed Forces to discuss the violations against sites in some governorates like Helwan,Fayoum,Beni Suef,Minia beside Cairo,Giza and Kaloubiya according to the committees reports to set a timetable for the urgent actions to immediately removal of these infringements.
Dr. Sabry also said that later meetings will discuss the infringements in the other governorates of the country and set a scheduled plan to remove them.   

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

The Antiquities collection at the American University in Cairo All registered and missing


Dr. Zahi Hawass confirmed that all the antiquities at the American university in Cairo (AUC) storage are registered and recorded in the ministry of Antiquities files in 1985. The objects are registered in 3 different Islamic antiquities logs and archives of Fustat excavations (Fustat was the first capital of Egypt after the Arab entered Egypt) since 1964 and the AUC received them according to the Antiquities law No. 215 year 1951 which allowed sharing of 50% of the objects found during the excavation between Egypt and the foreign mission working on the site which was altered in 1983 to 10% in Act 117 of Antiquities till it was cancelled at all in the new antiquities law last year.
The excavations were led at that time by Prof. George Scanlon, who is a Professor of Islamic Art and Architecture in the Department of Arab and Islamic Civilizations at the American University in Cairo. He received his BA in 1950 from Swarthmore College and his MA (1956) and PhD (1959) from Princeton University.

Dr. Abd El monem Abu Baker (Archaeology Professor at Cairo University) was the head of the committee that done the sharing process and he said it used to be done at the Egyptian Museum.
Dr. Hawass revealed that the last time to check the state of those objects in the possession of AUC was on 21st of April 2010.
Other objects were stolen from the same collection in 28th June 1989.
A committee of archaeologists at the Ministry of Antiquities did an inventory of the antiquities storage at the AUC after the breaking in and theft. The committee has been working form 15th March till 17th March and the results were 145 genuine objects missing and 50 replicas objects.

Labels: , , , , ,